“Ask Your Attorney” Column

About Voting In The Next Election – Voter ID Is Here

Dear Counselor: My parents are elderly, and are worried about voting in the Primary a month from now.  They’ve heard about the new Voter ID Law.  What do they need to show when they got to the polls?

Dear Client: Reassure your parents that they won’t have a problem if they just prepare for the new procedures. The New ID Law requires that voters show an acceptable photo ID before they can vote. There is NO SUCH THING as a “Wisconsin Voter ID Card” because the Law authorizes the use of existing photo IDs for people to prove their identity. Acceptable forms of ID include a Wisconsin DOT-issued driver license or Identification card, or a military ID card issued by a US uniformed service, or a US passport. The address on your ID does not have to be current, and the name on the ID does not have to be an exact match for your name in the poll book [such as Bob; Sue for Susan]. ID cards are available through the Department of Transportation, for a fee of $18. There are other forms of acceptable ID such as an unexpired ID card issued by a Wisconsin accredited university or college – and for details, you can website set up by the Wisconsin Government Accountability Board. So, as you can see, the requirements are very simple, and it is hoped that having voters show an ID will serve to cut back on voter fraud and make our election process more sound and reliable. Tell your parents not to worry!

John L. Maier, Jr.
[email protected]

Sweet & Maier, S.C., Attorneys
114 Church St. Elkhorn, Wisconsin
608-291-3958 www.wisclaw.com