Schedule an Initial Consultation 262-723-5480
Sweet & Maier, S.C. Attorneys at Law
Serving Clients From Southeastern Wisconsin To Northeastern Illinois

"Ask Your Attorney" Column

About How To Get A "Fresh Start" On Taxes

Dear Counselor: I need a break. I've been unemployed, have had a lot of bills, and I owe taxes to the IRS. Every time the phone rings, I'm afraid to answer for fear it's the "tax man" ready to take me away. What can I do?

Dear Client: You are in luck. The IRS has announced it is expanding its "fresh start" initiative for struggling taxpayers. The updated program provides relief to the unemployed, and more taxpayers will be able to use streamlined installment agreements to catch up on back taxes. Qualified taxpayers will be able to stretch out payments over six years. Under the new provisions, taxpayers who have been unemployed for 30 days or longer can avoid failure-to-pay penalties. There are rules to the program, and forms to fill out. The IRS website features online resources that can help you better understand the program and the forms you will need to complete. For more help, just give me a call. The best thing to do is face the problem and deal with it before it gets any bigger. Your life will indeed have a "fresh start"!

John L. Maier, Jr.

Sweet & Maier, S.C., Attorneys
114 N. Church St.
Elkhorn, WI 53121


Sweet & Maier, S.C.
114 North Church Street
Elkhorn, WI 53121

Phone: 262-723-5480
Fax: 262-723-2180
Map & Directions

Contact The Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy